Reason for buying
As you know, I’m going to work in Singapore in the next few weeks and I need a desktop replacement-A laptop with a big screen and a sytem that will run descently with Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Illustration, as well as InDesign. Another factor I consider is the price-It has to be cheap because it’s only a temporary machine for my design projects. Vostro 1700 seems to be perfect for me.
- Core 2 Duo 1.4 Ghz ( Santa Rosa)
- 17″ Widescreen XGA
- 2 Gb DDR2 667MHz RAM
- 128Mb Nvidia GeForce 8400GS
- 160G 5400 SATA hard drive
- Windows Vista Home Basic
- 8X DVD+/-RW with double-layer DVD+R write capability
- Dell Wireless 1390 802.11g Mini Card
- Integrated High Definition Audio 2.0
- 56 WHr 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery
Detailed specs here
VX2025WM 20.1″ lcd with Vostro 17″ laptop.
Thick and heavy
What I Like About It
- Bright and big screen which can run at 1440×900 native resolution display
- Full numeric keypad
- Very quiet
- Excellent performance
What I Don’t Like About It
- The display brightness differs when shifting angles.
- The touchpad is far to the left. I’m right handed and it’s not very comfortable. I find myself using my left finger instead.
- It’s very easy to leave finger prints on its black matt case.
- It’s heavy and really thick. But I guess it’s alright since I’m not gonna be carrying it around.
- I was hoping to have a 7200RPM HDD but only 5400RPM are availble.
- If you want this laptop, you should want Vista too period! I want XP due to the nature of my work, but only Vista is available. Vista’s interface is eye-candy though.
Well, it’s really thick. It could’ve been slimmer. The case is all black too. It’s quite nice but I’d be honest that it’s not very stylish, for my taste anyway.
I’m happy with it. It is a fine desktop replacement for its price.