Octwelve – A Web Designer's Blog by Luc Melgar

How to transfer files from Mac to Samsung Galaxy Tab [BEST SOLUTION]

November 3rd, 2011 · 41 Comments

Who you are:
You are… like me! A Mac user who has to deal with an android device – a 7″ Galaxy Tab

What’s your problem:
Same as mine! Really getting frustrated on how to transfer files from Mac OS X to Galaxy Tab’s internal storage

What you’ve tried:
An older version of Kies
An official installer from Android for Mac
Hacks and cracks

I’ve tried these too, excepts for the cracks and hacks. But I’m telling you, none of this works.

It’s really easy guys! Here’s how!

How to connect the Samsung Galaxy Tab to Mac OS X and Transfer Files

1. Go to Settings >; Wireless & Network >; USB and select Mass Storage
  2. Now connect your Galaxy tab USB to your Mac. And tadaa! Now you’ll see the drive for it and you can start dragging your files.

I feel kinda dumb it took me ages to figure out. But there are 9 million searches of this problem. Who would’ve known a USB storage setting will be inside the Wireless and Network Settings =S

Anyway, hope that helps! :)

41 responses so far

• boston web design company says:
    Nov 16, 2011 at 11:00 pm

It is the best solution indeed.

• Uttool says:
    Dec 8, 2011 at 6:03 pm

Thans a lot . Right thing i need

• airbornegraphics says:
    Dec 22, 2011 at 8:29 am

Good work, so simple

• Oridusartic says:
    Dec 23, 2011 at 10:22 am

Haha I was tricked by this transferring files procedure too on Galaxy S2. At that time I connected the device first to the USB then I ran the mass storage and it foolishly didn’t work.

• The Lonely 1 says:
    Jan 16, 2012 at 9:09 am

AWESOME. Thank you for sharing your expertise, I almost gave up on my Tab because i have been using the SD card to put into the my Mac so i could copy files, which was very tedious. Thanks again mate!

• dewangelo says:
    Jan 19, 2012 at 11:01 am

what a way to bypass OS X

you saved me so much time, i did all those things

keep up the good work
    thanks again
    dewangelo

• Itzonlikdnkykng says:
    Feb 3, 2012 at 2:25 am

Hi. I have a galaxy 10.1 tab and I don’t seem to have the “USB” option under Wireless and networks (or anywhere else in settings that I saw). I only have: flight mode, wi-fi, wi-fi settings, kies via wi-fi, bluetooth, bluetooth settings, and VPN settings. I would really love a solution to this frustrating problem!! Thanks!!!

• web designer blog says:
    Feb 3, 2012 at 11:47 am

wow, very well explained..and very useful too, thx

• Luc says:
    Feb 4, 2012 at 8:13 pm

You’re welcome guys!!

• Margie D says:
    Feb 7, 2012 at 10:44 am

to Itzonlyk, try finding USB utilities in “wireless and network’ before you insert the cable into the phone- till it tells you. .

• jake says:
    Feb 8, 2012 at 5:21 am

no such feature on my samsung tab 10.1

• web designing in chennai says:
    Feb 21, 2012 at 9:19 pm

It is nice tips to convert. Now i am so happy..

• 33W says:
    Mar 12, 2012 at 2:27 am

Why not use Dropbox?

• Lise says:
    Mar 29, 2012 at 3:27 pm

Hi,

It does not work with the tab P7310. I cannot find the mass device under Wireless & Network. Would you have a solution?

• Davide says:
    Mar 31, 2012 at 9:58 pm

Great! Works perfectly for the Galaxy Tab (GT-P1000), thanks!

• Mouse says:
    Apr 1, 2012 at 9:28 pm

Unfortunately, this works with 7″ tablet only. Galaxy Tab 10.1 does not include “USB” as an option in the “Wireless and Network” settings.

• BzDan says:
    May 1, 2012 at 2:51 am

Mouse, not all the 7″ Galaxy Tabs seem to be “the same”. Mine (an older model – MID7 ??) doesn’t have an USB item in the list of “Wireless and Networking” settings, only Airplane mode, Wi-fi, Bluetooth, Tethering and portable hotspot, VPN, Mobile networks. No USB.

I also cannot connect the tablet neither to a Win 7 (64 bit) nor to a Win XP computers, neither with Kies 2.3.0 nor “directly”. Neither with USB debugging on, nor off.

If I plug it into the PC USB port using the 30 pins – USB cable it came with, the batery icon in the right topmost corner shows charging. But no USB connection shown neither on the PC nor on the tablet.

True, I haven’t tried different cables, but I tried some Samsung addapters.

Any suggestions?
    Thanks.

• spider46 says:
    May 3, 2012 at 6:47 pm

actually my model is samsung galaxy tab GT-P7500….and i couldn’t find any solution.so anyone can help me with it.i need it urgent to transfer the files.tq

• Roberto says:
    May 5, 2012 at 3:41 pm

Hello, I have the 7.7 P6800. No USB or Mass storage under Wireless & Network. Uh? And Kies (latest version) just freezes under OSX Lion

• joyce says:
    May 9, 2012 at 6:41 pm

i have the 7.7 and after stumbling around with the various ideas suggested, i’ve settled for doing file transfers via bluetooth.

• Mar says:
    Jun 11, 2012 at 3:07 pm

Hi,

I was ecstatic to find out this link only to know that…it doesn’t work on mine :(

Like some others here, mine doesn’t have “USB and select Mass Storage”. Upon connecting, it only has 2 options:
    - Connect as MTP (media device)
    - Connect as PTP (camera)

My device is Galaxy Tab 2, GT-P3113 with Mac Pro OS X 10.4.11

help :(

• Wozzza says:
    Jul 2, 2012 at 2:09 pm

FANTASTIC, I was up til 12.30 last night trying to figure this out on my S2 Phone!!

This works perfectly Thanks v much mate :-)
    Cheers Wozzza

• kammeroper says:
    Jul 5, 2012 at 1:33 pm

This solution does not work on a Samsung Galaxy 2 Tab 7 inch screen and Snow Leopard or Lion. The USB option is simply not available!
    Any other ideas?
    kammeroper

• pat says:
    Jul 19, 2012 at 6:25 am

I have the galaxy tab, with the usb settings, etc, but my mac book pro will not see the galaxy tab. 7″
    (Go to Settings > Wireless & Network > USB and select Mass Storage
    Now connect your Galaxy tab USB to your Mac. And tadaa! Now you’ll see the drive for it and you can start dragging your files.)

I did all this.. nothing..
    Where will I see the drive and tada, start dragging my files (itunes music) from where??
    Please explain.
    Kiles is a joke

• jehzlau says:
    Aug 17, 2012 at 2:22 am

hi luc! napadaan! matagal mo nang di na update blog mo ah hehehe :D

• Raph says:
    Sep 8, 2012 at 11:33 am

Who would’ve known a phone could be used as an USB storage! ;)

• Mimi says:
    Sep 9, 2012 at 4:19 am

Same as kammeroper… No “USB” option when using a Tab 7 and a Mac with Snow Leopard… PLEASE HELP !

• MK says:
    Sep 19, 2012 at 7:57 pm

Use filetransfer: http://www.android.com/filetransfer/
    On the Galaxy Tab with the USB plugged into the Mac, tap the settings (bottom right) and for USB Connect as Camera (PTP)

This has worked for me on both my MBP and MBA running OS X 10.5.8 and 10.7

• JOhn says:
    Oct 13, 2012 at 6:03 pm

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 and there is no Wireless/Network option under settings. Am I missing something?

• kate says:
    Nov 24, 2012 at 8:24 pm

Where is “settings” on my mac?

• Luc says:
    Dec 12, 2012 at 7:32 pm

No, not in the mac. Settings is in your tab.

• Ryan says:
    Dec 20, 2012 at 12:11 am

Ye well, I downloaded the software that MK suggested, and i followed every single instruction, but whenever I connect my tablet to my mac via USB, a window pops up and says that I need to restart my device or to reconnect it. I tried this loads of times but it still doesn’t work

• Alex says:
    Dec 27, 2012 at 8:17 am

No Wireless & Network >; USB and select Mass Storage for me :( Im running Mac Leopard 10.5.8

Only: (under wireless & network) > wifi > Bluetooth > data usage
    > more settings >airplane mode >kies via wifi >VPN wi-fi direct > nearby device

I already visited samsung service center, but they cant figure it out! how stupid is that?! a service center that cannot answer problems with there product. dumbest thing ever.

• frwww says:
    Dec 29, 2012 at 11:17 pm

to connect Android 3.0 and above with Mac, you need this: http://www.android.com/filetransfert

• Yulia says:
    Jan 3, 2013 at 3:34 pm

Thank you! Great solution, helped a lot after half an hour fumbling with kies and android installer

• lissa says:
    Jan 5, 2013 at 10:15 am

Actually i just used bluetooth to send the files. Worked like a charm. :/

• Lernerfolg says:
    Feb 12, 2013 at 1:12 am

Thanks a lot for these very useful explanation!

• GreenlanternNT says:
    Feb 27, 2013 at 6:45 am

• Frank says:
    Mar 15, 2013 at 7:25 am

Same problem as everyone here: Mac Book Pro with pictures i want to transfer to a 7″ Galaxy tab2. Downloaded kies and android file transfer, linked both devices thru bluetooh. Mac doesn’t recognize tablet. No usb storage in network settings of tablet. What can i do? Help.

• audur says:
    Apr 9, 2013 at 1:10 am

use this application to transfer files between mac and android :D

• Monica says:
    May 18, 2013 at 4:51 am

Would you please make a Youtube version of how to do this as I am not sure whether you are referring to the Mac or the Galaxy “Settings”. A Youtube version of your instructions would possibly go viral.